Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it appropriate to use "electrifying" in this sentence? Is this sentence okay?

Listening to the music of rain splashing against the AC's duct was electrifying and refreshing.

Was it thrilling?

It's not a good example sentence for electrifying, no, because it's very hard to imagine how that sound could have such a powerful effect on a listener.

Try again. Remember that electrifying is a very strong word. Imagine how you might feel with 240 Volts of electricity coursing through your body.

It's not a good example sentence for electrifying, no, because it's very hard to imagine how that sound could have such a powerful effect on a listener.

Try again. Remember that electrifying is a very strong word. Imagine how you might feel with 240 Volts of electricity coursing through your body.

I have heard electrifying used about music performances a lot. So I thought it could apply here since the sound of rain is music.

Yes, but the word would be appropriate only to music of a certain quality, not to all music.

It's OK - I can't stop you from saying that, so go right ahead.
:)

I think calming and refreshing is a more compatible pair than electrifying and refreshing. (Perhaps I should have said something like that sooner, but I hadn't thought of it. Not quite.)

:)

Only on Tuesdays.

Your toes show it. They're Tennysons. ;-)

(Learners: I'm mangling a stupid old witticism here. Can you guess which poet's name it's supposed to use?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back