Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In a video, the host said sometimes the sound /d/ disappear, for example, boiled potatoes and steamed potatoes.

But as a second language learner, is it better for me to pronounce it out in an English exam?

Last edited:
You should always pronounce it.

I'd say it depends entirely on how good your general pronunciation already is.

It's possible that trying not to pronounce it will make you sound a lot worse than when you do, but it's also possible that trying to pronounce it could make you sound worse than when you don't. If you can post a clip of you saying it both ways, we'll have a better idea how to advise you.

In a video, the host said sometimes the sound /d/ disappears. For example, in "boiled potatoes" and "steamed potatoes".

[STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] As a second language learner, is it better for me to pronounce it [STRIKE]out[/STRIKE] in an English exam?

Note my corrections above.

Well, mashed potatoes are potatoes that still have a potato flavor but no longer have a potato shape. (I guess some people omit the final syllable, but I am not one of them.)

P.S. In this case it wouldn't be the final syllable, but it would be the /d/ sound at the end.

I'd venture to suggest that you might have misread the host's words, or he himself may have an inaccurate understanding of the "-(e)d" sound at the end of a word. Actually it cannot be omitted, as other answers have said, but is often realized as "unaspirated" (when proceding a consonant), just the same as the "t" sound in Cantonese words "baat (eight)" and "faat (hair)" (I noticed you're from Hongkong). That is to say, you do make the "t" sound but only hold the air in your mouth before you let it go at the end of the articultion (, and do not let it off so strong that you may hear the sound of the turbulence).

Well, mashed potatoes are potatoes that still have a potato flavor but no longer have a potato shape. (I guess some people omit the final syllable, but I am not one of them.)

P.S. In this case it wouldn't be the final syllable, but it would be the /d/ sound at the end.

In the UK, we use either "mashed potatoes" or just "mash". A classic British dish is "bangers and mash" - sausages with mashed potatoes, usually served with thick onion gravy.

Actually it cannot be omitted ….
Many speakers in my region do omit it altogether in certain phrases. This is such a strong tendency that the canned goods aisles in supermarkets are often labeled "Can goods". Learners should not emulate the practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back