Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
hello there,

i would need help with the below sentences. I am looking for one word which would fit in 3 sentences.

Thanks a lot for your help.

The champion boxer will do everything to _____________________ the title.

When you train your memory you’ll be able to __________________ more information.

Too much carbon dioxide and CFCs _______________ heat in the Earth’s atmosphere causing the greenhouse effect.

I found him sitting all alone in a _________________ room, with no furniture except for a single chair.

In such weather you can see people sitting on the edge of the fountain soaking their _____________ feet in the cool water.

When approached, the dog would _________________ its teeth and growl.

They stood still _________________ for the picture.

Though he is flat broke, he loves ____________________ as a wealthy businessman.
Alligators come closer and closer ________________ a real threat to the residents of this quiet Miami district.

= NOT A UE - REPRESENTING TEACHER =

I'd suggest the following words to fill the gaps with:

Set 1.: keep / preserve
Set 2.: bare
Set 3.: posing

If I'm wrong there'll certainly be correcting posts.

Julia, welcome to the forum.

You must know two things:
1. We cannot help you with homework. If this is an assignment you are going to turn it, it's cheating to come to a forum for English teachers and ask for the answers. After you submit your homework, if your teacher makes a comment or a correction you do not understand, please ask us about it then.

2. If this is self-study and not being submitted for a grade, we absolutely expect you to give your best effort to answer it yourself first. Posting the question and waiting for others to answer it won't help you learn.

= NOT A UE - REPRESENTING TEACHER =

I'd suggest the following words to fill the gaps with:

Set 1.: keep / preserve
Set 2.: bare
Set 3.: posing

Thanks Tomasz, set 1 is still not correct :( set 2 and 3 are perfect ! Thanks :)

If you are not sure of the correctness of your response, then it is better no to respond. This forum is 'Ask a Teacher', and people who come to it expect that the responses posted will be accurate.

Please also see Barb's post about homework.

Last edited:
Just registered with the forum but such a disappointment with the automated answer.
Yes this is self-study and not being submitted for a grade. Different people learn different ways and i am learning when i know the correct answer. Unfortunately i do not have a answer key to the exercise. Trust me i would not log into this forum if i would not dig myself for w while.

“we absolutely expect you” and “You must know two things” – very bossy teachers :)

Ah. Well, I'm sorry you feel that making sure you know the expectations is "bossy."But you won't have to worry about another single response from me if that's your attitude. Good luck. Good bye.

I just registered with the forum but [strike]such a disappointment[/strike] I was very disappointed with the automated answer.
Yes this is self-study and not being submitted for a grade. Different people learn in different ways and I [strike]am learning[/strike] learn when I know the correct answer. Unfortunately I do not have a answer key to the exercise. Trust me, I would not log into this forum if I would not dig myself (those words do not make any sense here) for a while.

We absolutely expect you” and “You must know two things” – very bossy teachers. :)

We are not bossy. We are strict. Many users come here and try to get us to give them the answers to homework questions so that they can get perfect scores on their tests. I am sure you can understand that that is completely unfair.

There was no "automated answer". Even though there are certain points we have to make over and over again, we still tailor each answer to each individual post.

It's good to know that you are studying on your own. However, I don't think you will find many teachers here who will agree that you only learn when you are given the correct answer. We will always ask you to give us your answer first.

In addition to the above, remember that there are rules in written English. These are the most basic ones so please ensure that you follow them in all your forum posts:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

AsiaJulia, you appear to be looking for a forum where experienced teachers will give you free answers to homework questions.

Good luck with that; this is not the one.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation and the correction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back