The response to the jury’s verdict was one of outrage.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The response to the jury’s verdict was one of outrage.

(From https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/outrage)
----
Does it mean "The response to the jury’s verdict was one (= a response) of (= about, concerning, or pertaining to) outrage"?

Last edited:
The pronoun one refers to 'outrage', yes—a response of outrage.

However, the preposition of is not similar to 'about, concerning, or pertaining to'.

It's the appropriate linking word between the reaction and the type of reaction ("outrage"). I don't think you can say it "means" anything.

Put simply, people were outraged at the verdict. That's what you should get from that.

How about this one?

Then what is it like?
That's a perfectly good question, but I'm sure that's not the response you're looking for. Could you expand on that?

That's a perfectly good question, but I'm sure that's not the response you're looking for. Could you expand on that?

"Then what is it like?" is my modification of "Then what does it mean?" because emsr2d2 said "I don't think you can say it ‘means’ anything." :)

Last edited:
The point is that it (of) is just a linking word and doesn't really mean anything. It performs a grammatical function but doesn't carry any meaning.

I agree of course that of doesn't really 'mean' anything in the sense of lexical meaning.

It's the appropriate linking word between the reaction and the type of reaction ("outrage").

Yes, I like how emsr2d2 puts this, but I'd probably put it a bit differently and say that it links the nature of the outrage.

I'd say the logical link itself is the meaning.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back