[Grammar] The question is too easy not to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Md Abu Nayeem Sk

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I will be very pleased if you kindly clarify meaning of the sentence - The question is too easy not to answer. My questions are 1. Whether the sentence means - the question is too easy to answer . Or2.the question is so easy that we don't need to answer or 3. The question is so easy that it should not be asked . Regards

For me, it means that the question is so easy that it is pointless not to answer it. You should answer it- you have nothing to lose by not answering and probably stand to gain.

Welcome to the forum, Md Abu Nayeem Sk.

Please note that I have changed your thread title. Your original title — too — was inadequate.

I am pleased to have the clarification . Thanks sir. But if someone is asked to rewrite the sentence - "The question is so easy that everyone will( can) answer " using "too.....to" and if he writes -" the question is too easy not to answer . " , will he be correct ?

They will be asked to rewrite a sentence into something that is pretty close to nonsense- the original is fine, the rewrite is not.

Note that that is only one possible meaning. The other is that not answering the question is too easy.
For example, a page-long question with very bad grammar, no punctuation and lots of chatlish I would find very easy not to answer - too easy, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back