Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

The problems on Paradise and Elation, and other companies' moves to ensure (that) they too will not afflicted, were anticipated by some experts. Richard Vie, technical services manager at P&O Cruises, the one major cruise company to elect not to build ships with podded drives, is one.

This time I would like to check with you about the next sentence, which is the continuation of the first one.

The way I understand the sentence in bold type is "one of the (such) experts is Richard Vie, technical services manager at P&O Cruises, the one major cruise company that/which has decided not to build ships with podded drives.

Overall understanding: P&O Cruises is the one major cruise company which/that has decided not to build ships with podded drives.

I think the italicised part "the one major cruise company to elect not to build ships with podded drives" has a similar structure to "I am always the last (person) to know". Do you agree with me?

What is your opinion?

Thank you.

http://www.boats.com/boat-buyers-gu...ta-ips-mercruiser-cummins-zeus-and-zf-marine/

Last edited:
I don't think you can really compare the two. The other is a sentence.

First of all, I would like to ask if I properly understood the meaning of the sentence in bold type. What do you think?

As for the similarity between "the one major cruise company to elect not to build ships with podded drives" and "the last (person) to know", I think that they follow the same pattern. Do you agree with me?

"the one major cruise company to elect not to build ships with podded drives" = "the one major cruise company that/which decided not to build ships with podded drives" - it seems to me that there is strict connection between "the one cruise company" and "to elect not to build ships with podded drives" rather than between "the major cruise company" and "to elect not to build ships with podded drives". I may be wrong.

"the last (person) to know" = "the last (person) that/who knows"

Last edited:
Yes, they seem to be similar structures. (I meant to say previously the one is s clause and the other ia a sentence, but I totally screwed that up.)

My question is still unanswered.

Did I properly understand the meaning of the sentence in bold type?

Richard Vie, technical services manager at P&O Cruises, the one major cruise company to elect not to build ships with podded drives, is one.

The way I understand the sentence in bold type is "one of the (such) experts is Richard Vie, technical services manager at P&O Cruises, the one major cruise company that/which has decided not to build ships with podded drives.

Please!

Last edited:
I believe that yours is the only possible interpretation. Indeed, your explanation enabled me to understand the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back