Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

The prime minister's deal on Brexit is hanging on a thin thread. Mistrusted by her own MPs, she seems to be fighting a lost battle, although she shows determination and perseverance for which she deserves all the credit. As the denouement is approaching, the auditorium fills with disappointed spectators who are preparing themselves to boo rather than cheer. It is highly likely that the main actress will leave the stage in tears.

I am only familiar with "hanging by a thread". Also, can you describe the context in which the above text might be used?

I made a mistake by writing "hanging on", instead of "hanging by a thread".

These sentences were just an exercise, which I wrote impromptu. I can imagine them being used in a commentary in a newspaper to describe in unusual way the current situation about Brexit.

The prime minister's deal on Brexit is hanging [STRIKE]on a thin[/STRIKE] by a thread. Mistrusted by her own MPs, she seems to be fighting a lost battle, although she shows determination and perseverance for which she deserves [STRIKE]all the[/STRIKE] credit. As the denouement [STRIKE]is approaching,[/STRIKE] approaches, the auditorium fills with disappointed spectators who are preparing themselves to boo rather than to cheer. It is highly likely that the main actress will leave the stage in tears.
Try that.

How about Brexit deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back