Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I have been struggling to find a word which means the "pollution from factories as it relates to air pollution".

Can I use "emission of greenhouse gases"? What about "fumes"?

What are some other options?

Do these work?

1. The research showed that the air pollution in this area is mainly caused by the emission of greenhouse gases from factories.

2. The research showed that the air pollution in this area is mainly caused by toxic fumes from factories.

I suppose it is fair enough to consider greenhouse gasses a form of air pollution. But greenhouse gasses consist principally of carbon dioxide which is actually useful to plants. And the oxides of nitrogen in greenhouse gasses tend to fertlize soil when they dissolve and fall in rain. Therefore the term air pollution usually refers to smoke, other particulates, and toxins such as carbon monoxide.

Sentence 2 is fine.

Last edited:
Do I have other options to mention "the smoke from factories"? I mean in the context of talking about air pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back