The payment is due within five days of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) The payment is due within five days of treatment.

2) The payment is due after five days of treatment.

What do these sentence mean? I know the meaning of "Due" but I have always been confused about its usage. Could you please help?

1) The payment is due within five days of treatment.

2) The payment is due after five days of treatment.

What do these sentence mean? I know the meaning of "due" but I have always been confused about its usage. Could you please help?

The first means that if, for example, you finished your treatment on Monday, you must pay by the end of the day five days later. I would take that to mean that you have to pay by the end of the day on Saturday.
The second, somewhat bizarrely, means that you have to pay only after you have completed five days of treatment. I have a feeling you wanted to say "The payment is due five days after treatment".

The first means that if, for example, you finished your treatment on Monday, you must pay by the end of the day five days later. I would take that to mean that you have to pay by the end of the day on Saturday.
The second, somewhat bizarrely, means that you have to pay only after you have completed five days of treatment. I have a feeling you wanted to say "The payment is due five days after treatment".

The payment is due five days after treatment. Okay, so this is the correct way of writing second sentence. Am I correct? Okay so I understand if you say "something is due within a number of days then it should be completed within mention number of days" and if you say "something is due number of days after something" then it means it should be completed after mentioned number of days. Am I correct?

Can it be used for other things as well except money?

If we say "Something is overdue" then what does it mean?

If we only say "Something/payment" is due then what does it mean?

The payment is due five days after treatment. Okay, so this is the correct way of writing the second sentence. Am I correct? Yes.

Okay, so I understand if you say "something is due within a number of days", then it should be completed within the mentioned number of days", and if you say "something is due number of days after something", then it means it should be completed after the mentioned number of days. Am I correct? No.

Can it be used for [STRIKE]other[/STRIKE] things [STRIKE]as well except[/STRIKE] ​other than money? Yes. For example, "Your assignment is due five days after the class".

See above.

If we say "Something is overdue" then what does it mean?

If we only say "Something/payment" is due then what does it mean?

"Overdue" means "late". It was not submitted/paid/delivered on time. It was not submitted/paid/delivered before/by the deadline.
"Due on/by" means "must be paid/delivered/submitted on/by".

It is now Sunday. Your payment was due by Saturday. You did not pay. Your payment is now overdue.

"Overdue" means "late". It was not submitted/paid/delivered on time. It was not submitted/paid/delivered before/by the deadline.
"Due on/by" means "must be paid/delivered/submitted on/by".

It is now Sunday. Your payment was due by Saturday. You did not pay. Your payment is now overdue.

1) Your payment is due. You need to submit it as soon as possible.

2) Your payment is due within three days. It is Monday today so you need to pay by Wednesday.

3) Your payment is overdue.

Are these correct?

1) Your payment is due. You need to submit it as soon as possible. :tick:

2) Your payment is due within three days. It is Monday today so you need to pay by Wednesday. :tick: It's grammatically correct but you would have to check with the person to see if they are including Monday in the three days. They might count Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as the three days.

3) Your payment is overdue. :tick:

Are these correct?

See above. There is always a danger of ambiguity with things like "due within three days" because sometimes it's not possible to work out when the three days begins and ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back