Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I have been bitten by a dog 2 years and 6 months ago.After many years is rabies still dangerous?"

Is it "I was bitten by........." or "I've been bitten....."?

I was bitten by a dog two and one-half years ago. After so many years, does rabies still pose a threat?

John

I was bitten by a dog two and one-half years ago. After so many years, does rabies still pose a threat?

John
Would this be one of the examples when the present perfect is used with exat time in the past? "I've been there.....last week."

Only the past tense works for me here.

'I was bitten by a dog two and a half years ago. Does rabies still pose a threat after all this time?'

Rover

Would this be one of the examples when the present perfect is used with exat time in the past? "I've been there.....last week."

If that's me you're quoting, I gave it as an example of the things people say- they start without a specific time and then add one, which would not be acceptable in writing. It was an example of how speech works and not of a correct grammatical form. ;-)

If that's me you're quoting, I gave it as an example of the things people say- they start without a specific time and then add one, which would not be acceptable in writing. It was an example of how speech works and not of a correct grammatical form. ;-)

Yes sir I did! The quote in post #1 is not something I've made up.

Putting this in front of it effectively turns into into fiction:
Would this be one of the examples when the present perfect is used with exact time in the past?
That is not what I said, not close to what I said and is such a distortion that it makes me wonder whether you bothered reading what I said. What do you think ... is doing in that example? Please do not abuse people's answers by twisting them like this. I gave an example of a feature that could occur in the flow speech and not of what you said.

This is what I said:

That's normal in speech- as we're changing our thoughts, moving around, hesitating, forgetting what we've just said, repeating ourselves, etc, we say all sorts of things. Speech is more fluid- I could say I've been there...last week, but I wouldn't write it- it's simply that I said something, then added another which is fine in speech, but would make it wrong in writing.
(emphasis added)

How do you get from that to your "one of the examples when the present perfect is used with exact time in the past". What part of wrong don't you fully understand? In fact, you were making things up by putting the nonsense next to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back