Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
[FONT=&quot]1. "Peugeot said it will soon be contacting customers concerned by its recall.[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]2. “We are contacting the parties concerned for an explanation of the reasons for the delay.”[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
I am confused with the usage of “the” before the word “concerned.” I often see the expression “the parties concerned” and “parties concerned” (without “the”) as well.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Do I need to put “the” before “xxx concerned” only if the person I am talking to knows concretely who xxx are?

Related to the above question, do I need "the" before "authorities" even if I don't know exactly what authorities they are?

"You must get permission from the authorities before you make a fire in the park."[/FONT]

As far as I know, it's always the parties concerned and the authorities.

:)

[FONT=&quot]1. "Peugeot said it will soon be contacting customers concerned by its recall.[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]2. “We are contacting the parties concerned for an explanation of the reasons for the delay.”[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]I am confused with the usage of “the” before the word “concerned.” I often see the expression “the parties concerned” and “parties concerned” (without “the”) as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do I need to put “the” before “xxx concerned” only if the person I am talking to knows concretely who xxx are?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Related to the above question, do I need "the" before "authorities" even if I don't know exactly what authorities they are?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"You must get permission from the authorities before you make a fire in the park."[/FONT]

As explained by Runbee and Gillnetter, 'Party' always needs an article as it is a countable noun. If you have seen the plural form somewhere without 'the' it could be the headline of a news item or dropped without any intention, as the following, copied from the web:
China urges parties concerned to help maintain peace.
Switzerland invites all parties concerned to attend the crucial meeting.
However, 'authority. can be used as countable as well as uncountable. When used as uncountable it means: the moral or legal right or ability to control So you do not need article here; as:
The United Nations has used its authority to restore peace in the area.
They've been acting illegally and without authority (= permission) from the council.

As explained by Runbee and Gillnetter, 'Party' always needs an article as it is a countable noun. If you have seen the plural form somewhere without 'the' it could be the headline of a news item or dropped without any intention, as the following, copied from the web:
China urges parties concerned to help maintain peace.
Switzerland invites all parties concerned to attend the crucial meeting.
However, 'authority. can be used as countable as well as uncountable. When used as uncountable it means: the moral or legal right or ability to control So you do not need article here; as:
The United Nations has used its authority to restore peace in the area.
They've been acting illegally and without authority (= permission) from the council.

Thanks.

“Concerned” has two meanings according to my dictionary. 1. involved in something or affected by it. 2. worried about something.

Do I need “the” before “parties concerned” if I use “parties concerned” in the meaning of “parties worried about.”

Can I say, “This is good news for parties concerned with their health.”?

Thanks.

“Concerned” has two meanings according to my dictionary. 1. involved in something or affected by it. 2. worried about something.

Do I need “the” before “parties concerned” if I use “parties concerned” in the meaning of “parties worried about.”

Can I say, “This is good news for the parties concerned with their health.”?

Yes. You are right but it is basically used as adjective to qualify a noun.

You need an article before a countable noun and ‘parties’ is a plural countable. it needs ‘the’ to specify the particular number of persons which can be counted. The lack of an article means that the speaker/writer is talking not about particular persons that are affected (concerned))but in general which will be meaningless

I wouldn't use concerned in the first sentence- customers affected sounds better to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back