Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello there,

This question might sound silly but because I'm non-native English speaker so I don't quite understand its exact meaning:

The context is about a guy preparing a summary report to the executive. The report is crisp briefing document that is clear and succinct. Then, it says "The paper is a heavy, impressive stock".

I think "stock" here is not a stock that people are trading for sure. So, from my guess, can it mean that guy used a very good (and expensive, maybe) stationary (thick, conqueror paper) to write the report? That's what I can think of. Or what else can it mean?

Thank you. Beeja

Yes, it refers to the quality of the paper.

And note it's "stationery."

And I don't know what you mean by "conqueror paper."

"Conqueror" is a well-known and long-standing brand of [writing] paper in the UK.

"Conqueror" is a well-known and long-standing brand of [writing] paper in the UK.

Thank you.

This is why capital letters on proper nouns are important. I would have assumed it was a brand name if it had been capitalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back