Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Are the following sentences both acceptable?

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the other three nations.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the three other nations.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the other three nations.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the three other nations.:tick:

The origin with reference to India need to be placed first.

When you see India, China, Korea, and Japan, you will remember that India is very far from the three other nations.
Yes, both are acceptable. I prefer the first.

In that sentence, there's no ambiguity. You know there are four in total, and you're talking about one compared to the other three.

However, with "the other three" in other situations, it could sound like there are two groups of three. France, Germany, and the Netherlands, compared to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore, for example.

So in the original, "the three others" would actually be more accurate. My rule is that clarity is the most important rule, over "correctness" and since there is no chance at all for misunderstanding the first one, it doesn't matter that much.

But it would be good to understand the difference so you could apply it correctly in other situations.

In that sentence, there's no ambiguity. You know there are four in total, and you're talking about one compared to the other three.

However, with "the other three" in other situations, it could sound like there are two groups of three. France, Germany, and the Netherlands, compared to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore, for example.

So in the original, "the three others" would actually be more accurate. My rule is that clarity is the most important rule, over "correctness" and since there is no chance at all for misunderstanding the first one, it doesn't matter that much.

But it would be good to understand the difference so you could apply it correctly in other situations.
***NOT A TEACHER***I have always found this topic interesting. May I share this example that I found with this website's learners: Former Prime Minister X and his secretary were the 14th and 15th persons arrested in the case. The OTHER 13 persons were all businessmen." The book says that since a first set of 13 persons was not mentioned, it would be "preferable" to say: the 13 OTHER persons. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back