Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I read somewhere that English phrasal verbs come from a certain family of the language, which, of course, affect English.
Is it true? If so, which language family? Germanic or European?

Thank you for your help.

Germanic languages are European.

Not a teacher

I have heard that phrasal verbs are the result of the Germanic influence on English, and are sometimes called Anglo-Saxon verbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard phrasal verbs described as "Anglo-Saxon verbs". Many phrasal verbs have Latin roots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a teacher.
----------------

Thank you, bhaisahab, for pointing that out.

Some people argue that the prominent feature of some phrasal verbs to take particles as their inherent constituents is in line with the ability of German verbs to take many inflectional forms by means of suffixes and prefixes, which are either separable or inseparable. I am not sure that this similarity can prove that there is a direct line of descent, nor do I feel that I am in a position to completely reject it. To be honest, I have never intended to do a thorough research on the question of their origin: the matter is rather complicated and is of no practical use to me; although I must admit the term "Anglo-Saxon verb" does sound rather intriguing.

If the OP is still interested in this question, the following discussion on another forum might be interesting:http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23714&view=previous

I have never heard phrasal verbs described as "Anglo-Saxon verbs". Many phrasal verbs have Latin roots.

Neither have I. However, I would say that the majority of phrasal verbs do not come from Latin or French.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back