Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I encountered the expression "The one question I woke up to", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

The one question I woke up to and couldn’t shake off and took with me to the shower, to my corner Greek diner, and then on the long way back home without ever being able to answer was: Is she not going to call me at all today or is she just pretending not to call?

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Fifth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, the protagonist woke up thinking about Clara.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
Actually, in case this might be helpful, the same expression appears again in the same chapter:

In the dark before the film started, I suddenly remembered how I had put my coat on the seat next to mine the first time with Clara when she’d gone to make a phone call, trying to pretend that I had come alone that night the better to enjoy waking up to her presence when she returned.

I am vaguely guessing that it might mean "realizing" something, or "waking up from sleep and finding" something, but I am not sure... o_O

The narrator woke up in the morning and started wondering whether she would call him that day. He carried on wondering the same thing throughout the day.

@jutfrank,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So it means that he woke up from his sleep, and then went to (="to") do something!

In that case, though, I wonder what the "woke up to" in the second quote might mean, since he was not sleeping...
Would it perhaps mean that he suddenly realized her presence, waking up from his metaphorical sleep...?

it means that he woke up from his sleep, and then went to (="to") do something!
No, that's not what the "to" means. "The question I woke up to" means "The question I woke up to start thinking of..." It's an idiomatic way of saying this was the question that popped into his head as soon as, or soon after, he woke up.

I wonder what the "woke up to" in the second quote might mean, since he was not sleeping...
Here it's used figuratively.
...the better to enjoy waking up to her presence = The better to enjoy the realisation of her presence.

@Barque,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So "woke up" should be read separately from "to"! "To" here suggests that he woke up first, and then "began/started to" think about her.
I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

No, "woke up to" has to be read together.

I [woke up to] the question... = I woke up and started thinking of the question...

@Barque,

Oh, so they should be read together, to mean "he woke up from sleep and started...".
I truly appreciate your help. :)

He was thinking about it as soon as he woke up. (That's happened to me -- like with some of your questions. 😊)

I encountered the expression "The one question I woke up to", but am struggling to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

The one question I woke up to and couldn’t shake off and took with me to the shower, to my corner Greek diner, and then on the long way back home without ever being able to answer was: Is she not going to call me at all today or is she just pretending not to call?

- André Aciman, Eight White Nights, Fifth Night

This is a novel published in the United States of America in 2010. This novel is narrated by the nameless male protagonist. The protagonist meets Clara at a Christmas party in Manhattan. Now, the protagonist woke up thinking about Clara.

In this part, I wonder what the underlined expression means.
Actually, in case this might be helpful, the same expression appears again in the same chapter:

I am vaguely guessing that it might mean "realizing" something, or "waking up from sleep and finding" something, but I am not sure... o_O
Although "waking up to something" can indeed be used metaphorically to mean "come to realize," in this case it means "awakening from sleep."
This is not "waking up in order to do something." It's "awakening to the presence of something."

Phrases in the same pattern:
> The one thing I looked forward to was the end of the school day.
> The one thing I hoped for stayed in my mind all day.
> The one song I swung along to was an old favorite.
> The music I loved to dance to spilled out of the ballroom door.

Last edited:
@Tarheel and @Ms. Worth,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So it is close to "woke up and found out the presence of something"!
Or perhaps he could have been thinking about it in his sleep, and was thinking about it as he awoke, having been awakened because of the very thought...

@Tarheel and @Ms. Worth,

Or perhaps he could have been thinking about it in his sleep, and was thinking about it as he awoke, having been awakened because of the very thought...
Yes, that's right.
It implies that as soon as you wake up, you notice that you have that thought in your mind.

> I woke up to the sound of birdsong.
> I woke up to the smell of coffee.
> I woke up to the overheated feeling of a cat sleeping on my neck.
> I woke up to the buzzing of a fly circling the fan on the ceiling.

@Coffee Break Yes. He might have been thinking about it when he went to sleep, and he was thinking about it again when he woke up. (See below.)

Tarheel goes to sleep thinking about a question by @Coffee Break. When he wakes up he knows what he wants to say.
😊

perhaps he could have been thinking about it in his sleep, and was thinking about it as he awoke, having been awakened because of the very thought...
A dream about it? That could also possibly be the case, yes, but the words don't say that in this case. The words just mean that when he woke up, he had that thought in mind.

@Ms. Worth, @Tarheel, @Barque,

Thank you very much for the additional explanations!
So he slept on the idea, and when he woke up, he found himself thinking about it.

Tarheel goes to sleep thinking about a question by @Coffee Break. When he wakes up he knows what he wants to say.
😊
I am honored! Thank you so much always for helping me understand. 🙏

I truly appreciate your help, as always. :)

@Tarheel and @Ms. Worth,

The ideas is that you woke up to a condition that had been ongoing while you were asleep.

> While you were asleep, [something] was happening (and had been happening all along) -- something which you perceived as soon as you woke up.
>"I woke up to the ringing of my car alarm."
This means that the alarm had been ringing while you were still sleeping, and you heard it as soon as you woke up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back