Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The Objective Infinitive Construction
Does this definition exist in English?

There may be a definition for it, but whether such a construction is used is a different matter. Can you show us an example of what you mean?

She did not want him to be laughed at.
I watched him go from group to group.

"The Objective Infinitive Construction" it's a definition itself.:roll:

In the absolutely lovely book (my favorite) A Reference Grammar for Students of English by R.A. Close I found the chapter "Infinitive as subject, complement and object". That's all.

It seems it's just a passive infinitive.
"to be laughed at" points out a different agent who is not "her."

The question was "does it definition exist?". Somewhere in English grammar?

It seems it's just a passive infinitive.
"to be laughed at" points out a different agent who is not "her."
I know. I ask about this strange definition. In all Russian grammar books.

The question was, does [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the/this/that definition exist [STRIKE]?".[/STRIKE] somewhere in English grammar?
I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

Last edited:
Towcats, it is not, in my humble opinion, a definition. What it is is a grammar term I had never heard of before.

Why do you think it's needed?

towcast1 said,
In all Russian grammar books.

Indeed, in Russia we use the terms "The Objective Infinitive Construction" (or "The Complex Object") and "The Subjective Infinitive Construction" (or "The Complex Subject") which can hardly be found in English grammar books.

The Complex Object comprises a subject + a verb in the active voice + an object + an infinitive/gerund/past participle.

She wants him to read a book (She wants (what?) him to read a book = the complex object).
He let me go.
I saw her crossing a road.

The Complex Subject comprises a subject + a verb in the passive voice (except for some verbs like "appear", "happen", "turn out" and "be + likely/sure") + an infinitive/past participle/gerund.

He is likely to win the race (It is likely that he will win the race (a complex sentence) => He is likely to win the race = a simple sentence with the complex subject).
He seems to be doing nothing.
She is known to be a good teacher.

To be honest, I still don't understand how an infinitive or participle can be considered part of a subject.

Last edited:
Towcats, it is not, in my humble opinion, a definition. What it is is a grammar term I had never heard of before.

Why do you think it's needed?
I desperately needed to hear your humble opinion about it - " it is not a definition. What it is is a grammar term I had never heard of before."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back