Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello, I am just wondering if it's right to say "the movie is worth to watch"? Or it's more appropriate to say "the movie is worth watching". If so, then is it fine to use the verb "watching" along with an adj or it is only for some specific verbs?

Hello, I am just wondering if it's right to say "the movie is worth to watch", or whether/if it's more appropriate to say "the movie is worth watching".
Say "the movie is worth watching". The other phrase is wrong.
If so, then is it fine OK/okay/correct/acceptable to use the verb "watching" along with an adj or it is it only for some specific verbs?
I have no idea what that means. Give us a sentence to illustrate the point you're trying to ask about.

Say "the movie is worth watching". The other phrase is wrong.

I have no idea what that means. Give us a sentence to illustrate the point you're trying to ask about.
In the phrase, "worth watching" does the word watching acts as a noun? for instance "It was nice meeting you." "The sight is worth seeing."

Then is it correct to pair the gerund form with adjectives? like the one that I asked.

Generally, we use an infinitive (versus gerund) after 'be+adjective' combinations. We normally follow prepositions with gerunds instead of infinitives.

However, the expression 'be worth X-ing' is a set phase using a gerund.

As a side note, 'worth' is classified as different parts of speech by various dictionaries. Ignoring the alternative uses as a noun or even verb, some classify it as a preposition in this contex while others as an adjective.

Webster - noun or preposition (adjective listed as 'archaic')
Macmillan - adjective only, with notes about never being followed by infinitive
Cambridge - noun or adjective (see notes about 'be worth having/doing something'
Collins - seems to suggest it's a preposition in AmE, but adjective in BrE, (with both variants also using it as noun and verb)
Dictionary.com - noun or preposition

I think the wiser approach is to ignore the preposition/adjective debate, because as a set phrase it's going to be followed by the gerund regardless.

I'd say that the pattern be worth X-ing is unusual in its form, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back