Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What is the difference between "the most senior" and "the senior most"?

Are they interchangeable?

How the second one is written?
a) the seniormost
b) the senior-most
c) the senior most

I've heard senior most/seniormost/senior-most in Pakistani English very often. And as I was searching for it on the internet, I came across a couple of forums where I learned that it is more frequently used in Indian English but not else where in the English Speaking world.

If it is Indian then is it one of those words from the old British English that became obsolete and old-fashioned and out-dated and hence they are no longer in use in the UK or was it originated in India itself?

Regards,
Aamir the Global Citizen

I think words with the suffix are less common and they are in one word rather than hyphenated.
I have heard of words like "uppermost", "innermost", "topmost" and "bottommost" but not "seniormost".

Last edited:
My Microsoft Word and Chrome spellchecks both reject "seniormost". "senior most" is also wrong in my view. If you wish to use it, I would recommend "senior-most".

Example: "Jimmy rose to the senior-most position in the firm after years of dedicated effort."

Can you give us a sentence in which you wish to use 'senior(-)most'?

Sure, "Misbah-ul-Haq was the seniormost/senior-most/senior most team member when he retired from cricket".

"Mr. Aslam is the seniormost/senior-most/senior most worker of the factory".

My Microsoft Word and Chrome spellchecks both reject "seniormost". "senior most" is also wrong in my view. If you wish to use it, I would recommend "senior-most".

Example: "Jimmy rose to the senior-most position in the firm after years of dedicated effort."

It's a little surprising to me because you've lived in India, I guess Rajhastan you said. But since you've been living in the USA for a long time you might have gotten more familiar with Americanism. It is used in English newspapers in both India and Pakistan. But thanks anyway for giving your feedback. I'm interested to know if Americans, British and Australians use it or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back