Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was told slang is used in the expression "Sorry I got stuck in the loo", but I'm not sure whether it refers to "get stuck in" or the whole expression "get stuck in the loo". I searched on the internet in vain, but happened to find a similar expression in the news-- Mr Gove "managed to get stuck in the toilet in the wrong lobby and he nearly broke his own whip"(Gove 'got stuck in Commons toilet')
My question are: 1. Is "get stuck in the loo" slang? If that is, could you please explain the meaning?
2. Could you also explain the sentence: "Mr Gove managed to get stuck in the toilet in the wrong lobby and he nearly broke his own whip"

Last edited:
#1 could have a couple of meanings:
a. He went into a restroom and locked the door, but couldn't get the door unlocked when he had finished.
b. He somehow got his body physically caught in the toilet itself. It's pretty hard to imagine getting stuck in a western toilet, but I'm sure you can imagine getting a foot caught in what I call a Chinese "Squatty Potty".

#2 "...he nearly broke his own whip" I have no idea what that could mean.

As always, when asking for clarification of a quoted passage, you are supposed to name your source.

Could you also explain the sentence: "Mr Gove managed to get stuck in the toilet in the wrong lobby and he nearly broke his own whip"

I think it's an attempt at humour but I don't really get it.

Gove held the office of Chief Whip. He didn't actually carry a whip.

Loo is slang for toilet. Getting stuck somewhere is not slang.

#1 could have a couple of meanings:
a. He went into a restroom and locked the door, but couldn't get the door unlocked when he had finished.
b. He somehow got his body physically caught in the toilet itself. It's pretty hard to imagine getting stuck in a western toilet, but I'm sure you can imagine getting a foot caught in what I call a Chinese "Squatty Potty".

#2 "...he nearly broke his own whip" I have no idea what that could mean.

As always, when asking for clarification of a quoted passage, you are supposed to name your source.
Thank you very much for the explanation. The link was provided in the brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back