Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, everyone.

I've heard these sentences,'[FONT=&#46027]Cause the only one I come undone for is you [/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]Oh the only one I come undone'[/FONT] from the song, 'Come undone by Vanessa'.

I've been looking for the meaning of 'come undone' in the context so I guess it means

the only one who 'can make me feel sad or frustrated' or 'I can't control'.

Do you think it is a right guess? come undone is so much abstract that it is hard to

find the right meanings in each context.

And here is another 'come done'.

[FONT=&#46027]You never know when youre gonna meet someone[/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]And your whole wide world, in a moment, [/FONT][FONT=&#46027]comes undone[/FONT][FONT=&#46027][/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]Youre just walking around then suddenly[/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]Everything that you thought that you knew about love is gone[/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]You find out its all been wrong[/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]And all my scars dont seem to matter anymore[/FONT]
[FONT=&#46027]Cause they led me here to you
[/FONT]

in this case, I think it means something come untied but I don't still know what it really stand for.. :-(

below is the full lyrics of 'come undone'

Thanks in advance.

[FONT=&#46027]I've seen myself in a thousand faces
Strung out on life's path
I would add up what you mean to me
But I cannot do the math

And this fashionista's garden party
Well I had enough of that
Cause the only one I come undone for is you
Oh the only one I come undone for...

I'm a special lover sometimes
But you only touch a ghost
I'm a sycophantic courtier
With an elegant repost

Needless to say you're the one that I need
The most
Oh the only one I come undone
For is you
The only one I come undone for is you

I know I'm done
And now I see the truth
I know I'm done
I come undone for you
You've been gone so long,
Waiting here for you
You've been gone so long,
Come undone for you

There are people in this lifetime
That we should never meet
Cause to be here now without you, well,
My life's so incomplete

I tell you what you mean to me,
Maybe then you'll see
Oh the only one I come undone for is you
The only one I come undone for is you

[/FONT]

I think you are correct in both your examples: "I guess it means the only one who 'can make me feel sad or frustrated' or 'I can't control'."
"
And your whole wide world, in a moment, comes undone". This means that your perception of how everything works; how everything fits around you, is shattered. It's a metaphor for falling instantly in love.
Also, its use throughout the song [
Cause the only one I come undone for is you] is probably a metaphor for getting undressed....

***** NOT A TEACHER*****

Hello,

This is the 75-year-old again who doesn't listen to your kind of music, but who finds those lyrics "interesting."

I checked my dictionaries. I think that "I come undone" in your song means something like "I fall to pieces" or

"I fall apart." That is, I am not able to handle the situation.

For example (forgive this very sad example): Let's say Mr. and Mrs. X were married for 50 years. Then Mr. X dies.
Well, it is possible that Mrs. X might come undone. That is, she might go to pieces or fall apart (emotionally).

Is the speaker in that song a female? Well, let's say that the speaker is a female. When she's around that guy, she

becomes undone. That is, she usually acts in a certain way because she wants people to think of her in a particular

way. Maybe she wants people to think that she is very calm. That she never gets excited. But when she is around

"him," she becomes undone. That is, she cannot pretend anymore to be calm! In other words, when she is

with "him," she becomes unhinged. That is, she goes crazy. She cannot control herself. As the saying goes, she throws

caution to the wind. When he looks at her, she "melts" like ice on a sunny day. With other people, she wears a mask. When

she is with "him," the mask falls to the ground.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back