Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is the full paragraph.

In February Fortune named us the most admired company in America. Dell, they wrote, was “thriving in an industry that may technically qualify as being in the poorest state in the Union. Its profits in this margin-squeezed business soared 15 percent in 2004, a feat that Dell makes look boringly routine. And now it’s the first PC maker to hold the rank of America’s Most Admired since the original ‘PC’ maker, IBM, logged off in 1986.”
From Michael Dell's autobiography, the founder of Dell Computer.

--- they wrote, was “thriving in an industry that may technically qualify as being in the poorest state in the Union.
The company is doing very well. It is in very good condition.

But, in contrast, the industry (or sector) in which the company operates is in very poor condition.

Profitability in the sector (the industry) is being reduced as margins are squeezed. However, the company is bucking the trend.

The company is doing very well. It is in very good condition.

But, in contrast, the industry (or sector) in which the company operates is in very poor condition.

Profitability in the sector (the industry) is being reduced as margins are squeezed. However, the company is bucking the trend.
Thank you very much. I got the meaning but what does "in the Union" mean ? Why the large character Union?

I think best our American collegues respond to this. But I assume it refers to the USA. So like any country name it merits a capital letter.

Union is another way of referring to the US. For example, the current sitting US president is required by the US Constitution to deliver an annual "State of the Union" address to the nation, outlining the general condition of the country. It's uncommon however, to see the term used outside of this context. I was kind of surprised to read it in the quote.

Although it started with language in the Constitution, the term was really solidified during the US Civil War, where the northern states were referred to 'Union' states, and the southern states were known as 'Confederate'. Ultimately, the Confederates rejoined the Union as a result of the war's outcome, and we became again one country or union of states.

It's a poor sentence. Invoking "poorest state in the Union" without meaning literally a state in the Union (like Mississippi) is a bad choice.

It's a poor sentence. Invoking "poorest state in the Union" without meaning literally a state in the Union (like Mississippi) is a bad choice.

Yes, that's very confusing! I was reading in the poorest state to mean 'in the least wealthy political entity' instead of 'in the worst condition', which I suppose you're saying it means. Is that right? It's saying that in the whole of the US, the computing industry was in the worst condition?

The other thread on this same sentence has a little more context that makes it clear he is talking about the status of the personal computer industry at the time. It's really the kind of thing an editor should flag as being likely to mislead or confuse people.

Thank you for your kind answers! It is confusing even to native speakers. The easier, the clearer, it is far better!

He might be too busy boasting to pay much attention to clarity. ;)

Context makes a difference. (It always does.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back