The man doesn't give his son something to eat because ____.

Status
Not open for further replies.

citra_tdz

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi, need advice for the best answer for these questions.

Son: Dad!
Father: Yeah, Micky.
Son: Can I have a really good snack?
Father: Uh, I don’t know. I think it’s . . . uh . . . what time is it? I think it’s going on dinner.
Son: Uh, it’s three thirty.
Father: Three thirty. Uh . . . We’d better wait. [Why, Dad?] Well, what kind of snack do you want?
Son: Candy?
Father: No, candy is out. Oh, how about some broccoli? [No!] Uh, carrots? [No!] Well, what else can you suggest?
Son: Candy.
Father: Candy. No, I don’t think . . . I think You’d better wait.
Son: A sandwich? A spinach sandwich?
Father: Spinach sandwich? Spinach sandwich! When did you start liking spinach?
Son: Uh, today.
Father: Well, what about a small sandwich? [Okay] Okay, I’ll whip it up in a minute. Play with your toys while you’re waiting for it.
Question: The man doesn't give his son something to eat because ____.
a. the boy just ate
b. they are going to eat soon
c. there isn't any food

download.png
Question: Both of the fish were male.
a. TRUE
b. FALSE
c. Don't know

My colleague suggests the answers are:
1. b. they are going to eat soon (based on: Father: Uh, I don’t know. I think it’s . . . uh . . . what time is it? I think it’s going on dinner.)
2. c. Don't know (not mention the gender for the second fish)

My answer:
1. no exact right answer, but if I have to choose, I will say: c. there isn't any food. Because at 3.30 I think it's not close enough to dinner time, but a right time for afternoon snack. And from the conversation I assume Father is not ready with any food for snack yet.
2. b. FALSE. (The poet uses pronounce "he" for the first fish, So I assume it must be a MALE. The this male wanted another fish to swim with and there is a picture of two fishes kissing in a heart frame. In a kid's mind and for animal relationship, it must a FEMALE that the MALE fish kiss)

Please give advice and suggestion for the best answer to these 2 questions above.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

Please provide the source of this question - we need the title of the book and the name(s) of the author(s).
Does the book not have the answers at the back?

I would have phrased the first question differently, thus:

Why didn't the man give his son something to eat at first?
A. The boy had just eaten.
B. It was almost dinner time.
C. They didn't have any food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back