Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which one is correct? I am finding tough time to decide 'singular' or 'plural' which one I should use.

1- The low sale(s) of underwears and bras indicate(s) that a country is headed towards a recession.

2- The prices of the TVs are 14000 dollars.
2a- The price of the Tvs is 14000 dollars.

I know I can say "The prices of the TVs are 6000, 4000 and 4000 dollars."

The low sale(s) of underwears and bras indicate(s) that a country is headed towards a recession.
Sales (and 'indicate'). You're referring to two different things. It's "underwear" and not "underwears".

2- The prices of the TVs are 14000 dollars.
Are you referring to multiple TVs that each cost $14000?
The TVs cost $14000 each.
I suppose you could say "The price of the TVs is $14000 each" but it doesn't sound natural.

(If you're referring to US dollars, I doubt any TV costs that much.)

I know I can say "The prices of the TVs are 6000, 4000 and 4000 dollars."
This is unnatural in my opinion. This TV costs $6000, and those two cost $4000 each.

Last edited:
Sales (and 'indicate'). You're referring to two different things. It's "underwear" and not "underwears".

Are you referring to multiple TVs that each cost $14000?
The TVs cost $14000 each.
I suppose you could say "The price of the TVs is $14000 each" but it doesn't sound natural.

(If you're referring to US dollars, I doubt any TV costs that much.)

This is unnatural in my opinion. This TV costs $6000, and those two cost $4000 each.
Thank you. Can I say "The price of the three tvs is 14000 dollars." when I mean to say together together they cost that amount.

You could but I'd prefer "The three TVs cost $14000 [in all]"

Perhaps:

Altogether the three TVs cost $14,000.

I guess somebody is buying three TVs.
🙂

$14,000

Use commas when dealing with numbers with 5 figures or more. With 4 it is optional. $2,500 or $2500.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back