Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

The living standard of students has much improved compared to the past centuries, but their drinking habits have remained the same. I have never understood this obsession with alcohol, which the future university graduates show every weekend, but the fact is that across the west, students drink excessively, even in the countries where alcohol is expensive. I see them every Friday patiently queuing at off-licence shops and then carrying their purchases in plastic bags to their dormitories, where they are going to drink themselves into stupor. Even those who never drank a drop of alcohol before, when they arrive to study start drinking because peer pressure is strong and one doesn't want to be an outsider. Many believe that this excessive drinking will stop as soon as you have graduated, but unfortunately, alcohol is like a drug, and once it has turned into a habit, it is difficult to get out of it. It has given many people good time, but it has also destroyed many lives and careers.

to the past centuries
I would change this- it suggests we're talking about certain centuries, like the last two hundred years.

Perhaps:

The living standards of students have much improved over the centuries, but their drinking habits have remained the same.

The graduation rates vary, but no matter what school you're talking about the graduation rate is well under 100%. So I wouldn't call them future graduates. Just students.

As for alcohol, it's not like a drug. It is a drug.

Say:

but the fact is that across the West students drink excessively even in countries where alcohol is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back