Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentence is grammatically correct.

The little girl who beautifully sang the national anthem before the game drew tears from the spectators's eyes.

The adverb doesn't work there. They're slippery beasts, aren't they? It seems I've written quite a few posts suggesting you place one ahead of the verb it modifies, but in this case, she should sing the anthem so beautifully.

Can you spot the mistake in the possessive?

It should be "spectators' eyes."

GoesStation,

I have forgotten the rule that the adverbs of manner mostly come after the verb, and therefore the above mistake.

GoesStation,

I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had forgotten the rule that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] adverbs of manner mostly come after the verb.

See above.

I am wondering if my sentence is grammatically correct.

The little girl who beautifully sang the national anthem before the game drew tears from the spectators's eyes.
I might prefer this, Bassim:

The little girl's beautiful singing of the national anthem before the game drew tears from the spectators' eyes.

In that sentence, the adverb + verb structure has become an adjective + noun structure, and there is no relative clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back