The literary term for non-word sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feppish

Member Type
Other
I have in mind here a cough, a tsk, a grunt, a snort and so on, all used to communicate something but only quasi-words at most.

I seem to remember there is a term for these, but I cannot recall it.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to Using English.

Do you mean "onomatopoeia"?

I don’t think he means onomatopoeia, Barb.

Some of the “words” you are talking about are interjections, although many interjections are “real” words.

I am interested to know if there is a better term for this group of vocalisations.

How about vocal segregates? And paralanguage is used for the general area.

You could try "ejaculation".
ejaculation [ɪˌdʒækjʊˈleɪʃən]
n 1. an abrupt emphatic utterance or exclamation
ejaculation - definition of ejaculation by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

When babies do it, technically it's called babbling. Adults can also babble.
babbling - definition of babbling by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Gurgling is an informal term for babies.

"Vocalising" can include words and non-words.
Non-word vocal production ...

I think there's also "paraverbals" -- things that are, uh, like words but, umm, not.

Hi everybody,

There is also the linguistic term: backchannels. It refers to both verbal and non-verbal responses to indicate interest, such as uh huh, hmm, tsk, oh really.

Reactions: 5jj
Hi everybody,

There is also the linguistic term: backchannels. It refers to both verbal and non-verbal responses to indicate interest, such as uh huh, hmm, tsk, oh really.
Welcome to the forum.

And thanks for that information.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back