Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have read it in the grammar book, Digest by Trudy Aronson, that the length of time is required to be used in the perfect continuous tenses. My question is, 'Is it correct to use lately or recently instead of the length of the time?'

For example: I have been watching TV recently.

The length of time is often not stated with the present perfect:

Have you heard from your sister?
I've worked in eight countries altogether.
George has just arrived.

I have read it in the grammar book no comma here Digest by Trudy Aronson no comma here that the a length of time is required to be used in is expressed using the perfect continuous tenses. My question is no comma here 'Is it correct to use "lately" or "recently" instead of the length of the time?'

Note my corrections above. You correctly italicised the title of the book but you incorrectly italicised "by Trudy Aronson".

that the length of time is required to be used in the perfect continuous tenses.

The length of time is often not stated with the present perfect:

I think the OP is asking about the perfect continuous tenses, although your answer still applies to that, too.

Edit: Some examples.
Tom was tired because he had been jogging.
Tom has been feeling blue (lately). (note the optional use of 'lately')
Tom will be tired because he will have been exercising so hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back