Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Regarding the following question, I have two questions:

The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way people communicate and influenced every aspect of our lives.

1) Is the bold part a noun clause that define the word 'the way'?

The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way (that) people communicate and influenced every aspect of our lives.

2) According to the parallelism in both part of the coordinator 'and' , do the adverb 'undoubtedly' apply to the second part too?

The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way people communicate and influenced every aspect of our lives.

For example:
The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way people communicate and has undoubtedly influenced every aspect of our lives.

1) Yes, your understanding is right. (Though we wouldn't call it a "noun clause".) The mobile phone has changed people's patterns of behaviour when it comes to communicating.

2) Well, it seems to apply to both but strictly we cannot say for sure. Even if not, it shouldn't really affect how you answer.

I don't like the original sentence. Properly it should be 'has influenced'.
Source: IELTS Language Practice.

Thanks. Good point.

You meant :The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way people communicate and has influenced every aspect of our lives.

I am not sure if "undoubtedly" can be applied on both parts in this way, though.

Last edited:
(Though we wouldn't call it a "noun clause".)
Thanks teacher. What does you call it, and which type of clause is that? Is it a 'content clause'?

It appears to me to be a dependent clause functioning as an adjective which describes 'way'.
Thanks RobertJ. However, it seems to me that the verb 'communicate' is intransitive , so "the way people communicate" can't be an adjective clause.

"can't"?​ Uuuhhh, yeah. If you can point me in the direction of such a hard-and-fast rule, I'd be more than happy to abide by it and thank you for it.
Maybe the way I learned adjective clause is wrong.

If we have the following as adjective clauses: (we need transitive verbs here when the relative pronoun are the object of an adjective clause)
I liked the flowers that he bough for me. (I like flowers. He bough the flowers for me.)

We’re going to the beach that I like the best. (we are going to a beach. I like the beach the best.)

Now, is the following possible?

The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way people communicate. ( The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way. people communicate the way).

Last edited:
Try reading it like this:

The invention of the mobile phone has undoubtedly revolutionized the way[s in which] people communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back