Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use the second rephrased version of the first sentence?

1. "There are some animal rights groups in my country, but in USA the biggest group is with the name of WAP."

2. "There are some animal rights groups in my country, but WAP is the biggest one in USA."

Should I use the [STRIKE]second[/STRIKE] rephrased version of the first sentence?

1. "There are [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] several/many animal rights groups in my country, but in the USA the biggest group is [STRIKE]with the name of[/STRIKE] called WAP."

2. "There are [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] several/many animal rights groups in my country, but WAP is the biggest one in the USA."

See above. There is no "second rephrased version". That would suggest that you had written three sentences in total. It's not clear in either sentence whether "my country" and "the USA" are in fact the same country.

See above. There is no "second rephrased version". That would suggest that you had written three sentences in total. It's not clear in either sentence whether "my country" and "the USA" are in fact the same country.

Why is it wrong to use "some" meaning "a few" an indefinite amount?

Why is it wrong to use "some" meaning "a few", or an indefinite amount?

I don't see anything wrong with that if there are not many of such groups.

Your text leaves the reader wondering whether your country is USA, as emsr2d2 pointed out.

Why is it wrong to use "some" meaning "a few" or an indefinite amount?

I don't know, but neither sentence hangs well together. That is, the first part doesn't go with the second part.

(I understand the points the others made, but since you live in Georgia I assumed you were referring to that when you said "my country".)

I don't know, but neither sentence hangs well together. That is, the first part doesn't go with the second part.

(I understand the points the others made, but since you live in Georgia I assumed you were referring to that when you said "my country".)

Rachel's Georgia is in Russia, not the USA.

Rachel's Georgia is in Russia, not the USA.

Not exactly. Georgia and Russia are neighbors. (I am sure that a lot of Georgians speak Russian, but that doesn't make them Russians.)

Ted, part of Georgia may be occupied by Russia, but Georgia is not in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back