The example of comparative adjectives (good, better, best) confused me as one of the examples of irregular adjectives reads “well, better, best”.

Bib00752

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

The example of comparative adjectives (good, better, best) confused me as one of the examples of irregular adjectives reads “well, better, best”.
The example “well, better, best” doesn’t make sense to me. In the context of a range between ill and well or well and fit, I would suggest “ill, better, well” or “well, fit and fittest” although the latter is admittedly colloquial. Better in the context of wellness implies you were ill and are recovering! Probably a bit pedantic but then I am a grumpy old man…..

The example “well, better, best” doesn’t make sense to me.
For example:

Within two hours of taking the medicine, I felt well enough to walk unaided, and after a couple of days I felt even better. I felt best on day 5, and I had completely recovered three days later.

Do you get the general idea?
In the context of a range between ill and well or well and fit, I would suggest “ill, better, well” or “well, fit and fittest” although the latter is admittedly colloquial.
It's about comparative adjectives/adverbs; it's not about a "range" as such.

Last edited:
For example:

Within two hours of taking the medicine, I felt well enough to walk unaided, and after a couple of days I felt even better. I felt best on day 5, and I had completely recovered three days later.

Do you get the general idea?

It's about comparative adjectives; it's not about a "range" as such.
Thanks for your clear example which works well in the context you give (even though “well enough” is “well” qualified by “enough”!)

even though “well enough” is “well” qualified by “enough”!)
Right: We have an adverb "enough" modifying another "well".

They didn't provide any example sentences for that one although they did for most of them. Maybe they could use Teechar's examples. 🙂

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back