Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in the third part of my text?

I have never run away from my memories. They are the most precious thing I have. That is where I exist, feel happy and at peace. I do not see my present life as reality. It stopped when I boarded the bus to flee the war on a warm June day. I saved my life but killed my soul. What did I hope for as the bus drove me across Europe to the land of milk of honey? Maybe to start a new life, make a successful career, marry and have children? I was running from destruction, hatred and massacres to a rich place where any dream can come true. I should have felt happiness. But I didn’t. I knew I would never see my father alive again, never walk in my orchard and taste fruit from my trees. What was I going to do with my success and all material things I would later acquire when I had lost my homeland and would never hear my father’s voice again?

You have to look forward in your life and always be an optimist, people say. They even teach children to think positive all the time. Especially in the last two decades, it has become a kind of a fad. People spend large amounts of money doing the courses in positive thinking, which teach them how to avoid any negative thoughts. Popular psychology has created a hunger for positive thinking, and now psychologists and some charlatans are feeding the masses with their theories and advice while emptying the pockets of busy people who don’t have time to think for themselves. On the other side, those who think positive and are confident are in demand and usually draw large crowds. If they come to power, masses will willingly follow them to all sorts of endeavours and adventures and even to a war, because they promise a bright future for their followers when the war ends. People will make enormous sacrifices, lose their limbs, eyes and minds to attain that promised goal. They will kill, rape, torture and wreak destruction on other nations, and then justify all those awful crimes by reminding others of that rosy future they are creating.

No matter the hardship and suffering, they will marsh on, the voice of their confident leader in their minds telling them that the victory is near. During that time, any doubts will be suppressed and critical thinking abolished, mostly for practical reasons. Masses who do not think are more susceptible to propaganda and persuasion. They will follow their leader to the very end, never questioning his decision, for he is all-wise and all-knowing. It is difficult to imagine a leader who thinks negative and openly admits he suffers from depression or broods over the meaning of life.
TO BE CONTINUED

I have never run away from my memories. They are the most precious thing I have. That is where I exist, and feel happy and at peace. I do not see my present life as reality. It stopped when I boarded the bus to flee the war on a warm June day. I saved my life but killed my soul. What did I hope for as the bus drove me across Europe to the land of milk [Strike]of[/Strike] and honey? Maybe to start a new life, make a successful career, marry and have children? I was running from destruction, hatred and massacres to a rich place where any dream can come true. I should have felt happiness. But I didn’t. I knew I would never see my father alive again, never walk in my orchard and taste fruit from my trees. What was I going to do with my success and all material things I would later acquire when I had lost my homeland and would never hear my father’s voice again?

You have to [Strike]look[/Strike] move forward in your life and always be an optimist, people say. They even [Strike]teach[/Strike] tell children to think positive all the time. Especially in the last two decades, it has become a kind of a fad. People spend large amounts of money doing [Strike]the[/Strike] courses in positive thinking, which teach them how to avoid any negative thoughts. Popular psychology has created a hunger for positive thinking, and now psychologists and some charlatans are feeding the masses with their theories and advice while emptying the pockets of busy people who don’t have time to think for themselves. On the other side, those who think positive and are confident are in demand and usually draw large crowds. If they [Strike]come[/Strike] rise to power, the masses will willingly [Strike]follow[/Strike] allow them to lead the country to all sorts of endeavours and adventures and even to war, because they promise a bright future [Strike]for their followers[/Strike] when the war ends. People will make enormous sacrifices, lose their limbs, eyes and minds to attain that promised goal. They will kill, rape, torture and wreak destruction on other nations, and then justify all those awful crimes by reminding others of that rosy future they are creating.

No matter the hardship and suffering, they will [Strike]marsh[/Strike] march on, the voice of their confident leader in their minds telling them that the victory is near. During that time, any doubts will be suppressed and critical thinking abolished, mostly for expediency's sake. [Strike]practical reasons.[/Strike] Masses who do not think are more susceptible to propaganda and persuasion. They will follow their leader to the very end, never questioning his decision, for he is all-wise and all-knowing. It is difficult to imagine a leader who thinks negative and openly admits he suffers from depression or broods over the meaning of life.
I don't understand the part in blue.

Regarding "on the other side", I understand I made a mistake. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it until you pointed at it.
I wanted to say, "on the other hand." Would that phrase be OK in my sentence? Or should I use "however"?

I would use "on the other hand".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back