Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody again!

These are the documents he is due through November.

Does the above sentence mean "These are the documents which/that he is due to obtain until the end of November?

Thank you.

Hello everybody again!

These are the documents he is due through November.

Does the above sentence mean "These are the documents which/that he is due to obtain until the end of November?

Thank you.

Probably.

The use of "through November" says that it is the American English.

I would read it as "the documents that someone was to give to him."

What is the British version of "through November"?

I would read it as "the documents that someone was to give to him."

What is the British version of "through November"?

I have been told that they do not differentiate "to November" from "through Novvember", but that may not be accurate.

If "from now through February" means "from now until the beginning of February" then the latter is what we say in BrE. However, I admit I'm not sure about the meaning of "through February" in AmE. If it includes February, then in BrE we would say "from now until the end of February".

If "from now through February" means "from now until the beginning of February" then the latter is what we say in BrE. However, I admit I'm not sure about the meaning of "through February" in AmE. If it includes February, then in BrE we would say "from now until the end of February".

In AmE, from X to Y usually means from the beginning of X to the beginning of Y. From X through Y usually means from the beginning of X to the end of Y. Therefore, I will be gone from May to September is different from I will be gone from May through September. I have to admit that this is not totally consistent in AmE. A person would likely say, I work Monday to Friday to mean I work those five, not four, days. But when it comes to calender dates, the difference is more clear. I will be gone from the seventh to the thirteenth means that I will be back on the thirteenth. I will be gone from the seventh through the thirteenth means that I will be back on the fourteenth. I have no idea when or how this difference was created. I assume it was created to clarify an issue that is often misunderstood.

I don't see how you can say you are "through" February at the beginning of it. If we have to pass through a dangerous forest, we are not through it when we enter it.

I don't see how you can say you are "through" February at the beginning of it. If we have to pass through a dangerous forest, we are not through it when we enter it.

I thought perhaps it might mean "From now right through to February" which is used in BrE. That means until the end of January/beginning of Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back