Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : self practice
Minseo's Mom: Oh, yes. Anyway, kids are having a hard time studying these days. When we were their ages, there were neither private academies nor private lessons.
This mean that when the current students' parents were students, "private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very active, so they didn't have to attend or take private lessons.

===============================================
Are the two underlined parts suitable expressions?

Last edited:
Source : self practice
[FONT=&#48148]Minseo's Mom: Oh, yes. Anyway, kids are having a hard time studying these days. When we were their ages, there were neither private academies nor private lessons.[/FONT][FONT=&#48148] In other words, they didn't exist.
This means that when the current students' parents were students, "private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very active, which means they didn't have to attend or take private lessons.
See previous note.

===============================================
Are the two underlined parts suitable expressions?[/FONT][FONT=&#54620]
[/FONT]

All three are suitable expressions, but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

:)

All three are suitable expressions, but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

:)

I'm trying to translate Korean sentences to English following the meaning of each sentence.
Are the alternatives better than "active" in the context?

이것은 현재 학생들의 부모님이 학생이었을 때는 학원이나 과외가 많이 활성화되어 있지 않아서
"private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very active
=>"private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very invigorated/vitalized

This means that when the current students' parents were students, "private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very active, so they didn't have to attend or take private lessons.

No. "Active" doesn't make sense there. Can you describe what you mean by it?

No. "Active" doesn't make sense there. Can you describe what you mean by it?

활성화되어 means "they tried to make as many private academies as possible, they tried to invigorate or vitalize them.", but I'm not sure if the two words are proper.

private academies" and "private tutoring" were not very invigorated/vitalized

It's unclear what you are trying to say. Maybe those academies were established but didn't have many students at first. I don't know.

I suggest that you abandon those terms.

Mom: Those places weren't around when I was your age.
Son: They weren't?
Mom: Well, there weren't very many, and the ones that existed weren't well-known.
Son: So they're rather new?
Mom: To a lot of people, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back