Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most high school grammar books and dictionaries simply say that "nor" is a conjunction. But some university-level authorities say it is often an adverb that focuses on some word in the sentence. Take this example: Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms). IF you are one of those who assert that "nor" is, indeed, an adverb in this example, then (1) What is the underlying conjunction? (2) Which word does "nor" focus on or "modify"? Thank you very much.

My brain is not in a state to give you a detailed explanation now, The Parser. Just one comment:
Tom does not like mushrooms and nor does Mona. :multi:
nor = A
and = coordinating conj.

Most high school grammar books and dictionaries simply say that "nor" is a conjunction. But some university-level authorities say it is often an adverb that focuses on some word in the sentence. Take this example: Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms). IF you are one of those who assert that "nor" is, indeed, an adverb in this example, then (1) What is the underlying conjunction? (2) Which word does "nor" focus on or "modify"? Thank you very much.

you have to decide what function the sentence element represents

Adverbs usually modify an adjective, verb or another adverb.

Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms).

Nor in this context is simply a coordinating conjunction connecting the two sentences of the same importance together. By no means it's an adverb.

My brain is not in a state to give you a detailed explanation now, The Parser. Just one comment:
Tom does not like mushrooms and nor does Mona. :multi:
nor = A
and = coordinating conj.
Thanks so much for agreeing that "and" is the underlying conjunction. I look forward to hearing your views on "nor" as an adverb -- especially as to what word it "modifies." I'm guessing/ hoping it's "Mona." (Nice icon)

you have to decide what function the sentence element represents

Adverbs usually modify an adjective, verb or another adverb.

Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms).

Nor in this context is simply a coordinating conjunction connecting the two sentences of the same importance together. By no means it's an adverb.
Thank you so much for answering my question. It was very kind of you.

Bad boy. ;-) What part of speech is 'Mona'? It is a proper noun. What do adverbs modify? Nouns?
Thanks for your reply. Consider: "Neither Tom nor Mona likes mushrooms." I guess we can all agree that "nor" does "focus" on "Mona." So in "Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms)," is there the possibility that "nor" ( = also not) focuses on or "modifies" the word "Nora"? In very crude English, doesn't my sentence = Tom does not like mushrooms, and also not Mona does like mushrooms. Consider: Tom doesn't like mushrooms. Mona doesn't, either. I believe that "either" is modifying "Mona," not the verb. Thanks for any clarification.

Thanks for your reply. Consider: "Neither Tom nor Mona likes mushrooms." I guess we can all agree that "nor" does "focus" on "Mona." So in "Tom does not like mushrooms. Nor does Mona (like mushrooms)," is there the possibility that "nor" ( = also not) focuses on or "modifies" the word "Nora"? In very crude English, doesn't my sentence = Tom does not like mushrooms, and also not Mona does like mushrooms. Consider: Tom doesn't like mushrooms. Mona doesn't, either. I believe that "either" is modifying "Mona," not the verb. Thanks for any clarification.

A correlative conjunction, that is what neither ... nor is. It does not modify anything; what it does is make the subject compound by joining 'Nora' and 'Tom' together. What does 'and' modify in 'You and I, we love each other'? Nothing.

Tom does not like mushrooms, and also [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] Mona does not like mushrooms.

and = connector
also = modifies 'not' (not = adverb)

Mona doesn't, either.

either = adverb (does not either), modifies 'not'

This may be completely irrelevant but, in Irish English one will often hear something like: "I don't like the cold weather" "No more do I" or some similar construction. I wonder, though I have absolutely no evidence for this, whether "nor" may sometimes be a contraction of "no more". "I don't like the cold weather" "Nor do I"; "I don't like the cold weather" "I don't like it any more than you (do)".

A correlative conjunction, that is what neither ... nor is. It does not modify anything; what it does is make the subject compound by joining 'Nora' and 'Tom' together. What does 'and' modify in 'You and I, we love each other'? Nothing.

and = connector
also = modifies 'not' (not = adverb)

either = adverb (does not either), modifies 'not'
Thank you so much for answering my question and sharing your views.

This may be completely irrelevant but, in Irish English one will often hear something like: "I don't like the cold weather" "No more do I" or some similar construction. I wonder, though I have absolutely no evidence for this, whether "nor" may sometimes be a contraction of "no more". "I don't like the cold weather" "Nor do I"; "I don't like the cold weather" "I don't like it any more than you (do)".
Thanks for this information. I, of course, know nothing about Irish English. Your answer is far from "irrelevant." The word "nor" may, indeed, may not be so simple as is believed. We're usually told that "nor" is a conjunction and not to make a big deal out of it. But Quirk in his books seems to feel it's not that simple. He cites: A: BOB can't drive a car. B: No, nor can JOHN do that. It seems that "nor" is focusing on "John." (It was Quirk who used the uppercase for "John").

You are welcome, TheParser. Do you feel kinship with my views?
I am, as usual, carefully studying your analysis. As many grammarians say, there are different ways of looking at a language. That's why people have to be VERY humble when it comes to language. All of us know very little. For example: Where are my books? Have you see 'em? Of course, most teachers would tell students: " 'em is the contraction for 'them.' End of discussion. Let's return to our lesson." I just learned, however, that 'em is not the contraction for "them." It's actually a contraction for an old English word "hem." It's always great reading your posts to me and others. I always find so many things to consider and reconsider. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back