The car was repaired to be more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quanghung1020

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello,

Is it normal to use an infinitive as an adverb in a sentence where the main verb of that sentence is in the passive voice?
For example:

In many pages and documents I found, only examples of using infinitives as adverbs in sentences with the main verbs in active voice are given.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,

Is it normal to use an infinitive as an adverb in a sentence where the main verb of that sentence is in the passive voice?
For example:

In many pages and documents I found, only examples of using infinitives as adverbs in sentence with the main verbs in active voice are given.
[Deleted.]
It's OK.

I would say the sentence itself is in either the active voice or the passive voice.

It's OK.

I would say the sentence itself is in either the active voice or the passive voice.
"To be considered machinable, a material should be flexible enough to be machined to any profile with exact dimensions." In this example, is it correct to say that the infinitive "to be machined" acts as an adverb that modifies the adjective "flexible"? Or it modifies the adverb "enough"?

Hi quanghung1020, :)

I see that you've posted the same question to at least one other forum.

I know that you're a new member, but in future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back