The businessman ________ the old pictures. Last year he returned it to his country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoebemia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. The businessman ________ the old pictures. Last year he returned it to his country.
A. protected B. has protected

2. He is a famous reporter. He ________ a lot of important things in Shenzhen Daily.
A. reported B. has reported

Which one is better? Why?

Where are you getting these awful questions from?

Where are you getting these awful questions from?
Some exercises in a book. But the writer is not native speaker. The sentences are:
1. The businessman protected the old pictures. Last year he returned it to his country.
2. He is a famous reporter. He reported a lot of important things in Shenzhen Daily.

But I just don't think those sentences are right.

Should they be anything like:
1. The businessman has protected the old pictures since 1983.
2. He has reported a lot of important things in Shenzhen Daily for the past then years.

Some exercises in a book.
That's not good enough. We need to know the title and author of the book, and why you have to do exercises from it.

It looks like you're asking us to do your homework.

Some exercises in a book. But the writer is not native speaker. The sentences are:
1. The businessman protected the old pictures. Last year he returned it to his country.
2. He is a famous reporter. He reported a lot of important things in Shenzhen Daily.

But I just don't think those sentences are right.

Should they be something like:
1. The businessman has protected the old pictures since 1983.
2. He has reported a lot of important things in Shenzhen Daily for the past then years.
1. Yours makes more sense than the original.
2. That is also better than the original..

1. The businessman ________ the old pictures. Last year he returned it to his country.

What's the relation between this businessman and these old pictures? What does the word it refer to? This context seriously lacks coherence.

What's the relation between this businessman and these old pictures? What does the word it refer to? This context seriously lacks coherence.
I think it should be changed to them.

The following is the original exercise and book cover, which is all in Chinese. I thought it would make no sence to you so didn't upload it.

The answer is protected. But I think the sentence is not that correct, so I would like a second opinion from a native speaker.

27571666489265_.pic.jpgWechatIMG2756.jpeg

Please do your best to translate the title and author's name into English.

Please do your best to translate the title and author's name into English.
10 Minutes' Basic English Training by Luo Pan

Are you required to use that book? If so, I'm sorry! Of the three questions in that image, two have errors.

In the first, "he returned it to his country" should be "he returned them to his country". "the old pictures" is plural so "them" should be used.
In the second, "they are too young" is ungrammatical. It would have to say what they are too young for. Instead, it should say they are "very young".

The third sentence is grammatical but doesn't actually make sense.

Are you required to use that book? If so, I'm sorry! Of the three questions in that image, two have errors.

In the first, "he returned it to his country" should be "he returned them to his country". "the old pictures" is plural so "them" should be used.
In the second, "they are too young" is ungrammatical. It would have to say what they are too young for. Instead, it should say they are "very young".

The third sentence is grammatical but doesn't actually make sense.

Thanks a lot for pointing those out. And sadly yes, I have to use this book. But now I understand this book is not professional and won't spend much time on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back