Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello!
I'm pretty confused as to whether I should use the singular or plural noun here,

...the bowls of noodles he always EAT or EATS...

Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks very much!

The verb 'eat' follows the subject 'he'.
So it is 'he eats'.

not a teacher

I'm pretty confused as to whether I should use the singular or plural noun here,

It's a verb, not a noun, so it is not affected by bowl/bowls, but by the subject:

He eats a bowl of noodles every day.
He eats bowls of noodles.

They eat a bowl of noodles every day.
They eat bowls of noodles.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

May I add my two bits (VERY humble opinion) to the excellent answers already received?

It always helps to analyze a complete sentence.

Let's analyze: "The delicious bowls of noodles (that) he always ___ come from a corner restaurant."

If you carefully look at that sentence, you will notice that it has two sentences:

1. The delicious bowls of noodles come from a corner restaurant." ("Come" because of the word "bowls.)

2. He always eats (because of "he," as Tedmc and the Editor told you) the delicious bowls of noodles. (The word "that" refers to "The delicious bowls of noodles." In your sentence, "that" is optional.)

"The grammar helplines (that) Mona ____ help her with English grammar." I am sure that you can now choose the correct verb: visit / visits.

James

James, while I understand what you meant, your terminology is misleading. The "sentence" is a complete thing. It does not have two sentences in it. There are two clauses, a main clause and a relative clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back