Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
I've recently read about several rules on when to use the article "the" before proper nouns, which were very helpful.
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nouns-proper-no-the.htm

However, I was a bit confused by some text I found online involving proper nouns and the word "the" that seemed to contradict the rules in the above link.

In England, there is a place named "Derwent Valley," based on the river "Derwent." Hence, according the rules in the link above, I interpret this as "Derwent" being the name of a place, and thus the article "the" should not precede this proper noun. However, a google search on "Derwent Valley" showed multiple results writing "... the Derwent Valley ...," i.e. inconsistent with the rule in the above link about when to use "the" before proper nouns.

The same also goes for "Derwent Valley Mills," where the search results I came across online wrote "... the Derwent Valley Mills ...," although by the rule in the link, I had thought that "Derwent Valley" is considered the name of a place, and therefore the article "the" should not be placed before this proper noun?

Thanks a lot if anyone can explain how the grammar behind the above example, how it's some kind of exception to the linked rule or if there's some other explanation to it!
Cheers!

In the latter case, the noun is an attributive noun, a noun used as an adjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back