Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

I want to paraphrase the following sentence. The only difference between sentence one and two is that I replace the preposition "in" with "of" while sentence three, I write the prepositional phrase first "in five categories of employment status" then, the verb "enjoyed" comes afterward.
Which sentence is grammatically correct?

1-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females enjoyed in five categories of employment status between 1998 and 1999.

2-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females enjoyed of five categories of employment status enjoyed between 1998 and 1999.

3-The bar graph compares the amount of free time that males and females in five categories of employment status enjoyed between 1998 and 1999.

I would go for No. 3.

1 and 2 are awkward with the "five categories of employed" at the back, separated from "males and females". The preposition "in" is preferred to "of".

I agree. The third is the best of the lot.

Is the first sentence the original, and if so, where did you find it?

What exactly does "categories of employment status" mean? Different levels in a hierarchy--manager, executive, and so on? Or different fields of work--store clerks, taxi drivers, doctors?

I agree. The third is the best of the lot.

Is the first sentence the original, and if so, where did you find it?

What exactly does "categories of employment status" mean? Different levels in a hierarchy--manager, executive, and so on? Or different fields of work--store clerks, taxi drivers, doctors?

No, I paraphrased the original. Categories of employment status are employed full time, employed part time, unemployed,and retired.

That's four.

No, I paraphrased the original. The categories of employment status are employed full-time, employed part-time, unemployed, space here and retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back