The baby can't breathe by himself and needs respiratory machine to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mampwamp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The baby can't breathe by himself and needs respiratory machine to help.
The baby can't breathe by himself and needs respiratory machine.

Can we put "to help" at the end of sentence?

The term "respiratory machine" is a bit odd. I would use " a ventilator" and would not use "to help".

Exactly @MikeNewYork, there should be used "a ventilator" rather than "respiratory machine" where it is quite easy to understand this sentence that here baby isn't able to breathe by himself and needs a ventilator.

Welcome to the forum, lauren.

Please read this extract from the Forum Rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

As a non-medical person, I don't know the difference between respirator and ventilator.

If someone with the medical qualifications to explain the difference would do so, that would be great.

I don't think the word "respirator" as a synonym for "ventilator" is used much anymore. The reason is that respiration is a very complex physiologic process that includes taking in oxygen and other gases and the transfer of those gases across lung membranes. A machine cannot really do that. Ventilation more correctly describes the mechanical process of providing gases to the lung and taking away waste gases. Modern ventilators can also provide specialized processes such as "PEEP" (positive end expiratory pressure) and CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure). Both are designed to increase the gaseous exchange in the lungs by increasing the pressure of inhaled gases.

From a non-medical point of view, I would understand (as much as I need to) "The baby can't breathe by himself/on his own and has had to be hooked up to a machine."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back