Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Topic: SOMEONE ELSE’S LIFE - What is the appeal of reality TV?

[At 0:59]
Gabe: I have to say, uh, that wasn't as much of a reality TV show as much as it was like a competition, right?

[At 1:28]
Gabe: Well, um, like you said about reality and being real, they're not as real as much as they are entertaining.
---
a. that wasn't as much of a reality TV show as much as it was like a competition ...
b. that wasn't as much of a reality TV show as it was like a competition ... [my version]

c. ... they're not as real as much as they are entertaining.
d. ... they're not as real as they are entertaining. [my version]

Do (a) and (b), and (c) and (d) mean the same?

Last edited:
It seems like a throwaway line -- something without much thought behind it. In my humble opinion, there is no conflict being real and being a competition. Or between being real and being entertaining. Having said that, I would say: "It wasn't as much a reality show as it was a competition." (That's if I would say that at all, which I wouldn't.)

I don't like his sentence (a) at all. I don't think it's right. You can tell that he gets a bit lost mid-sentence and fluffs it. You're right to get rid of the second 'much as', but you don't need to say 'it was'. The 'like' is wrong in both versions.

Here's how to say it:

... that was more of a competition than a reality TV show.
... that wasn't really a reality TV show so much as a competition.

Last edited:
It seems like a throwaway line -- something without much thought behind it. In my humble opinion, there is no conflict between being real and being a competition. Or between being real and being entertaining. Having said that, I would say: "It wasn't as much a reality show as it was a competition." (That's if I would say that at all, which I wouldn't.)
I think "between" is needed. :)
----
e. It wasn't as much a reality show as it was a competition.

f. It wasn't as much of a reality show as it was a competition. [my version]

I assume that they mean the same. That is, "of" is optional. Is that right?

Last edited:
e. It wasn't as much a reality show as it was a competition.

f. It wasn't as much of a reality show as it was a competition. [my version]

I assume that they mean the same. That is, "of" is optional. Is that right?
Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back