[Grammar] That was never the way I planned....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
My dear teachers,
Is this grammatically correct?

That was never the way I planned, not my intention.

[STRIKE]My dear teachers, [/STRIKE] Unnecessary and it sounds like the start of a love letter!
Is this grammatically correct?

That was never the way I planned, not my intention.

No. It's understandable but not grammatical. In the first half, you need to say either "That was never the way I planned it" or "That was never what I planned" or "That was never my plan".
I'm sure some other native speakers will dislike the use of "never" in this context and suggest that it should simply be "That was not ...".

The second half does not match the first. If you use "never" in the first, match it with "never" in the second.

Given that you have used "my intention" in the second half, it would be better to match the first half to it. My suggested final sentence would be:

"That was never my plan, never my intention."

There is a danger of it being a little tautologous because "plan" and "intention" are similar in meaning in some contexts. However, I think there is enough difference for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back