[Grammar] ... that it does not even figure in ratings charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[In a news story]

[...]

But the only television station that consistently supports him, has less than 1% of the television audience on most days - that it does not even figure in ratings charts.

(Source)
------
1. Why is there a "that" here? Is it the object of “figure”?

2. Then what does "it" refer to?

Add "so low a share" before that.

So the "that" means "(so) that".

Is that right?

Add "so low a share" before that.
Indeed. Something like this is needed. Otherwise, to me, the sentence is ungrammatical.
Also, the comma after "him" is wrong.

So the "that" means "(so) that".

Is that right?
It's a misprint. The publisher left out some words. The sentence works if you put them back.

It's a misprint. The publisher left out some words. The sentence works if you put them back.
How about the original version? It looks fine to me. (The one above,
as I quoted, is an abridged edition published in a Taiwan newspaper, for the reader learning English.)

But the only television station that consistently supports him, a bombastic and partly Hungarian-funded outfit called Nova24TV, has so few viewers — less than one percent of the television audience on most days — that it does not even figure in ratings charts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/world/europe/eastern-europe-populist-leaders-unpopular.html

That's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back