Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Since early 2018, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has received more than 300 complaints of sexual and other harassment and removed 75 principal investigators (PIs) from grants as a result, the agency reported this week. That’s the eye-opening result of an update NIH provided on its efforts to address professional misconduct by agency-funded investigators.
Source: Science: NIH removed more than 70 lab heads from grants after harassment complaints

=====================================

What does "the eye-opening result of an update" refer to? It seems to have two different meanings to me: One refers to NIH's renewed determination to uphold the behavioral integrity of scientists by removing bad guys; the other refers to the number of the scientists who violated the rules.

Which is more precise?

Why this question? Because in my impression, "eye-opening" is a good adjective to describe positive phenomenon while "number of bad guys" is negative. So the collocation between the two sounds odd to me.

The "result" is the drastic disciplinary action taken by the NIH to remove 75 principal investigators.

I think "eye-opening" in the context means "being made aware of the surprising revelation of what went wrong in the NHI, i.e. professional misconduct by its PIs.".

Last edited:
It is surprising/shocking, so people learning this will have their eyes opened (= made aware).

Because in my impression, "eye-opening" is a good adjective to describe positive phenomenon

No, that's not right. It just means 'surprising', in the sense of there having been revealed something hitherto unknown. In this case, it's the extent of the harassment that is eye-opening.

Eye-watering things are often positive if you are on the receiving end.

Eye-watering things are often positive if you are on the receiving end.

Always? People who are exposed to secondhand smoke will protest profusely since the smoke is eye-watering and acrid.

... And he meant to say 'eye-opening', not 'eye-watering'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back