Thank goodness I know how to swim. It would've been so much harder for me, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Thank goodness I know how to swim. It would've been so much harder for me, you know? Like, I'm talking about when I was learning how to surf.

Can this be said during conversation? Is it grammatical?

Except for the word "like" it is grammatical. But it is not elegant.

"Thank goodness I already knew how to swim when I was learning how to surf. Otherwise it would have been much harder for me, [you know?]"
Your sentences are OK. Plenty of people speak much worse than that. But strictly it's illogical - saying "you know" when you still haven't given enough information for the person to know anything. Also, "Like" is not needed; it's best not to pick up bad habits while you're learning.

"Thank goodness I already knew how to swim when I was learning how to surf. Otherwise it would have been much harder for me, [you know?]"
Your sentences are OK. Plenty of people speak much worse than that. But strictly it's illogical - saying "you know" when you still haven't given enough information for the person to know anything. Also, "Like" is not needed; it's best not to pick up bad habits while you're learning.

What about:

It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I hadn't known how to swim.

VS

It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I didn't know how to swim.

Are both useable?

Yes, I wold use either.

It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I hadn't already known how to swim.
It would've been so much harder to learn how to surf if I didn't already know how to swim.
The preferred wording for a third conditional (which your sentences are a type of) is the first. It is correct everywhere.
If you have to use the second, put 'already' in it too.

"Already" is good, but not necessary. The context takes care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back