Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Is use of "Verb+ing" in the following sentence correct grammatically and conceptually? If it is not, kindly suggest ways to make it clearer. My technical paper is reviewed by two reviewers. In fact, editor of journal confirms the paper for the review process and send me the comments of the reviewers!

We thank the honorable editor for confirming the paper in the review process and sending the comments.

Thanks.

Grammatically, yes. Conceptually, almost, but not quite.

First, I want to address the wording of your question:

Is the use of "Verb+ing" in the following sentence correct grammatically and conceptually? If it is not, kindly suggest ways to make it clearer. My technical paper is reviewed (1) by two reviewers. In fact, the editor of the journal confirms the paper for the review process and sends me the comments of the reviewers!

1. Use of the Simple Present is not appropriate here. If you are talking about one paper, then the review is:
a. in the future, as 'will be reviewed'
b. happening now, as 'is being reviewed'
c. in the past, as 'was reviewed'
Simple Present would be correct if you were speaking generally about the process, but then we should assume you might submit more papers in the future and say, 'My papers are reviewed... or even more generally by dropping the word my.

We thank the honorable editor for confirming the paper in the review process and sending the comments.

2. We? I know it's common to share authorship of a technical paper, but you mentioned only yourself in your question.
3. My understanding of confirming here is that the editor notified you that your paper had been accepted for review to be published. If that is the case, then I suggest: We thank the honorable editor for confirming the acceptance of our paper for review and for forwarding the reviewers' comments. The reviewers would send their comments to the editor, and he would then send them on to you.

3. My understanding of confirming here is that the editor notified you that your paper had been accepted for review to be published.

But still the pulication of the paper is not certain. Only the editor accept the paper for review.

Yes- the editor confirmed the acceptance for review, not yet for publication. That's what my sentence means. Were you confused by it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back