Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In those comparative structures, should there be a bare infinitive following "than" or should there just be an infinitive? e.g.
It's usually easier to follow rules of social behavior than/than to depend on one's own taste.
I'm inclined to use "than to" with reference to the first half of the sentence, but I was told "to" should be omitted here. I really don't know how to make such a choice. Sometimes it seems "than doing" is also OK.
Looking forward to your help.

It's usually easier to follow rules of social behavior than to depend on one's own taste.

not a teacher

Sounds better with the 'to' there though it could be omitted.

It's usually easier [to follow rules of social behavior] than [to depend on one's own taste].

It is not wrong to say
It's usually easier to [ follow rules of social behavior] than [depend on one's own taste].

It is not wrong to say
Thank you. I still wonder what a native speaker will usually use in this kind of sentencs. Are they both OK or one of them is used more often.As in the ex, it's difficult to make a choice between them.

Thank you. I still wonder what a native speaker will usually use in this kind of sentencs. Are they both OK or one of them is used more often.As in the ex, it's difficult to make a choice between them.
You can use either. I tend to use the "to".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back