'text me' - does it involve only phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sometimes I see on social network websites (especially on dating websites) a person description and:

"text me if you are interested"

I am sure they don't mean a mobile phone but simply expect a message via application or facebook messenger.
According to Cambridge Dictionary the verb "text" involves only SMS messages via phones. So, has the meaning of "text" extended?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/text

verb
[ T ]

UK /tekst/ US /tekst/

A2
to send someone a text message by phone:

I texted her to arrange a time to meet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the definition. Many of us still think of a "text" only as an SMS sent to/from a mobile phone. However, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some people take it to mean just about any form of electronic message (except email).

I am sure they don't mean a mobile phone but simply expect a message via application or facebook messenger.
According to Cambridge Dictionary the verb "text" involves only SMS messages via phones. So, has the meaning of "text" extended?

You added only- they didn't say it. There's nothing to stop the idea extending to other written messages.

At present, I'd recommend only using 'text' for mobile phone communications. Otherwise, specify the app you will be using:

I'll message you with my holiday dates on [insert name of platform].

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you can use the name of the platform as a verb these days.

I'll WhatsApp you the dates.
I'll Messenger you the info.
Let's Skype later and I'll tell you everything.
He's going to text me later. (As I said before, for me this only means an SMS.)

I'm going to ask my ten year old grandson for his opinion. :-D

I use "message" for Messenger. I use "text" for SMS texts.

I use "message" for Messenger. I use "text" for SMS texts.

The only problem, these days, with just using "message" is that it can refer to a multitude of messaging platforms. If the person you're speaking to doesn't know for certain which one you're going to use (and they use all of them), they don't necessarily know which one to keep an eye on. It's even more confusing if you're referring back to something you sent, say, a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend who frequently says things like "Oh, it was in that message I sent you about three weeks ago". Unfortunately, for her, that can mean email, text, WhatsApp, Messenger and she usually can't remember which she used, leaving me to hunt through all four platforms for the relevant information.

I've been seeing "DM" (direct message) used on the few platforms I frequent to refer to individual messages inside the platform - a hangover from AOL's 'IM' (instant message). You'll also hear them referred to as a PM (private message), such as on this forum.

To me, texting is only for phones. Inside an app it's a message, PM, or DM, used interchangeably.

Sometimes I see on social network websites (especially on dating websites) a person description and:

"text me if you are interested"

What proportion of people writing that would say are native speakers? How often do you see it? Which other verbs do you see instead of that verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back