tested for COVID-19 from a flight from South Africa after disembarking a flight from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A passenger at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam is tested for COVID-19 from a flight from South Africa after disembarking a flight from South Africa, where the Omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant was first reported.Credit: Pierre Crom/Getty

Source: Nature

The sentence above uses "a flight from South Africa" twice and it seems to me that the second "a flight from South Africa" can or should be removed, because "where the Omicron..." would still clearly refer back to South Africa after the removal (no one would mistakenly infer "where" to desembarking process). I am not absolutely sure.
Should the second "a flight from South Africa" be removed to make it terse?

Yes, it's poorly written. That magazine (Nature) is full of such sloppy writing. They need to pay their copy editors better salaries or employ more-competent ones!

"A passenger from South Africa, where the Omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant was first reported, is tested for COVID-19 at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam after disembarking."

A passenger at Schipol Airport in Amsterdam is tested for COVID-19 from a flight from South Africa after disembarking, where the Omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant was first reported.

It's probably some kind of pasting error. The two coloured phrases should be the other way round, of course. I imagine that the red phrase somehow accidentally got copied into the wrong position, leaving an incomplete phrase (minus the from) in the original position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back