Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear everybody
I have a situation as below:

My father don't know that my mom go to the supermarket. They meet accidentally at that supermarket. When seeing my mother, my father would say to my mother

I thought you (had gone)/ (went) to your friend's house. what are you doing here?

I should use (had gone) or (went) for this situation? Are both fine for this situation?, If so, what is the differences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear everybody
I have a situation as below:

My father [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] didn't know that my mom [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] had gone to the supermarket. They [STRIKE]meet[/STRIKE] met accidentally [STRIKE]at that supermarket.[/STRIKE] there. [STRIKE]When[/STRIKE] Seeing my mother, my father [STRIKE]would say to my mother[/STRIKE] said,

I thought you (had gone)/ (went) to your friend's house. what are you doing here? Either works.

I should use (had gone) or (went) for this situation? Are both fine for this situation?, If so, what is the differences?
Y

Dear Yankee
Thanks for your reply
Either works without any differences ?

[STRIKE]Dear everybody[/STRIKE] Hello.
I have a question about the situation [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] below:

My father [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] didn't know that my mom [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] had gone to the supermarket. They [STRIKE]meet[/STRIKE] met there accidentally. [STRIKE]at that supermarket.[/STRIKE] When [STRIKE]seeing[/STRIKE] he saw my mother, my father [STRIKE]would say to my mother[/STRIKE] said "I thought you had gone/went to your friend's house. What are you doing here?"

[STRIKE]I should[/STRIKE] Should I use "had gone" or "went" for this situation? Are both [STRIKE]fine[/STRIKE] OK? [STRIKE]for this situation?,[/STRIKE] If so, what [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are the differences?

Please note my corrections above. Don't enclose speech or words you are asking us to look at in brackets. Put them in quotation marks. The majority of BrE speakers would say "I thought you'd gone to your friend's house".

Please note my corrections above. Don't enclose speech or words you are asking us to look at in brackets. Put them in quotation marks. The majority of BrE speakers would say "I thought you'd gone to your friend's house".

Dear emsr2d2
Thanks for correcting my mistakes
BrE speakers would say "I thought you'd gone to your friend's house".So, "Would AE say I thought you went to your friend's house" instead?

Would AE-speakers say "I thought you went to your friend's house" instead?
Some would. This substitution is becoming more and more common, even though it sounds wrong to me.

Dear GoesStation,
Thanks for your answer.

I often see that the kind of sentences with simple past (went) are so common on American movie. It is not according to grammar books say. But it is acceptable in nowadays conversations.

[STRIKE]Dear[/STRIKE] GoesStation, thanks for your answer. Don't start with "Dear". You're not writing a letter to a friend or a company.

I often [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] hear [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] those [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] kinds of sentences, [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] using the simple past (went), [STRIKE]are so common on[/STRIKE] in American movies.

It is not [STRIKE]according to[/STRIKE] what my grammar books say no full stop here but I now understand that it is acceptable nowadays in [STRIKE]nowadays[/STRIKE] conversations.

emsr2d2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back